Municipal waste charge
A household-specific municipal waste charge that is invoiced once a year. In the area served by PHJ, the fee was implemented on 1 July 2008.
The fee constitutes a legally enforceable liability determined by the municipal waste management authority pursuant to the Finnish Waste Act (646/2011, Chapter 9, Waste management charges). The grounds for the fee and its amount are determined in the decision on the waste management rate (tariff) approved by the Päijät-Häme Waste Board.
The funds collected via the fee are used in their entirety to finance the organisation of municipal waste management activities set out in law.
MUNICIPAL WASTE CHARGE AS OF 1 JANUARY 2020
- Properties in full-time residential use: EUR 33,50 per household per year (EUR 27,02 + applicable VAT)
- Properties used as holiday homes: EUR 20,50 per household per year (EUR 16,53 + applicable VAT)
WHAT IS THE FEE USED FOR?
The fee is used to finance statutory waste management services and activities:
- Waste reception stations located at seven service areas
- Roinaralli collection points (hazardous waste, metal and electric equipment)
- Reception of hazardous waste and garden waste free of charge
- Service and sorting information services
- Some of the post-closure care measures for landfills
- Operation of the waste board
WHO IS CHARGED?
The fee is charged for holiday homes and properties in full-time residential use located in the area served by the waste management company. The party who owns the property on the date when the invoice is sent is liable for the fee.
The invoice for the fee is sent to the owner once a year either as a paper or electronic invoice. An agreement on an e-invoice can be made via an online bank. Direct debit agreements must be made with your bank.
In housing companies, a joint invoice for all the households in the building is sent to the building manager, who then invoices the owners for their share of the fee directly or as part of the maintenance fee, in accordance with the housing company’s articles of association.
The fee is not charged for properties that are shown to be uninhabitable. Applications for exemption from the fee must be submitted to the Päijät-Häme Waste Board:
- electronic applications: lahti.fi/jatelautakunta -> asioi verkossa (e-services) -> muutoksen hakeminen jätemaksuun (application for the revision of the waste charge) (in Finnish)
- paper applications: municipal service points
Changes in information such as invoicing details, the owner of the property or the number of households must be submitted to the Päijät-Häme Waste Management Ltd.
- by email to email@example.com
- or by calling our customer service team on +358 3 871 1710 on weekdays between 9am and 3pm