Waste management operations in Päijät-Häme
Several operators participate in the management of waste generated by residential activities (household waste) to ensure that all waste management tasks are performed appropriately.
SERVICES PROVIDED BY PÄIJÄT-HÄME WASTE MANAGEMENT LTD
Päijät-Häme Waste Management Ltd (PHJ) is a limited liability company owned by 10 municipalities. It is tasked with providing the following waste management services for these municipalities: reception and processing of waste, provision of advice on the service and the sorting of waste, and invoicing for the municipal waste charge.
The services can be used by permanent residents and holiday home owners. The municipalities included in the area served by the company are Asikkala, Heinola, Hollola, Kärkölä, Lahti, Myrskylä, Orimattila, Padasjoki, Pukkila and Sysmä.
CONTACT PÄIJÄT-HÄME WASTE MANAGEMENT LTD
- if you would like more information on the arrangement of waste services, waste management regulations or waste rates
- if you would like to know more about the sorting of waste or waste collection points
- if you have queries or complaints related to the municipal waste charge, you have bought or sold a property or your invoicing address has changed
Customer service telephone +358 3 871 1710 on weekdays between 9am and 3pm, email email@example.com
OFFICIAL RESPONSIBILITIES OF THE PÄIJÄT-HÄME WASTE BOARD
Composed of members assigned by the local municipalities, the Päijät-Häme Waste Board is responsible for official waste management duties in the region.
Its main tasks involve monitoring tasks related to properties’ waste management and the organisation of waste collection. The board’s other duties are: issuing waste management regulations, deciding on exceptions regarding waste management regulations, approving the waste rates, deciding on waste payments, collecting waste payments, deciding on waste transport systems, monitoring waste transport, maintaining the waste transport registry, and deciding on exceptions to the requirement to join a communal waste management system.
SUBMIT APPLICATIONS AND NOTIFICATIONS TO THE PÄIJÄT-HÄME WASTE BOARD IN WRITING
- if you start composting food waste at your property and would like your mixed waste to be collected at intervals longer than two weeks (Note! only in an area where property owners are responsible for arranging waste collection)
- if you want to terminate waste collection services for more than a year because your property will be unoccupied
- if you want to notify the board of the use of a shared waste container
- if you want to extend the collection interval for your mixed or energy waste bin to more than 16 weeks
- if you would like to have your municipal waste charge or regional collection point fee reduced or would like to be exempted from the fee
MONITORING BY THE MUNICIPAL ENVIRONMENTAL PROTECTION AUTHORITY
Monitoring authorities monitor compliance with the Waste Act, issue monitoring orders and fines to rectify violations and cases of unsound waste management, issue decisions on monitoring matters, and handle notification and permit decisions that come under their remit.
CONTACT YOUR MUNICIPAL ENVIRONMENTAL PROTECTION AUTHORITY
- if you notice litter or environmental or health risks caused by inappropriate waste management
- if you are starting slurry stabilisation with chalk or a similar method, you must notify the authorities no later than 30 days before the commencement of the treatment
- if you are organising an event for more than 500 people, you must notify the authorities no later than two weeks prior to the event